Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Some time on my own

What's the number one thing that autistic people really crave for? Yes! You guessed correctly! It's... REST! Peace and tranquility in order to absorb and process the horror of these thousands of information pulses that we are subjected to in the real world. Hence our decision to start a new life in the Italian mountains, a place where I can truly come to terms with who I am so that I can build up enough energy to face the unavoidable contact with busy society. 

Unfortunately, however, living isolated on a hill is sometimes not enough. From time to time there are still tensions and messages from the outside world which haunt me and sometimes even drive me completely balmy. When that happens, there is only one remedy: fleeing, as fast and as far as possible. Lucky enough for me, there are places here where I can flee to. Places where I'm not going to be disturbed, where there's no noise, no social clutter and chitchat, only peace. What about the summit of Mount Cavalbianco (1855m), for instance? It's the highest peak I've visited so far, at a time when I really needed it. 


I know that I have to consider myself very fortunate that I can do this. Many of my autistic brothers and sisters have no way out and can only scream at the walls that surround them. Yes, I truly am very lucky. Then again, I'm not feeling guilty at all about it. I've tried my utmost to blend in into society and to contribute to it, for twenty years until I eventually collapsed. So I see it that now society owes me. And I will keep up my struggle until society realises that it owes the same to my brothers and sisters too.

Some pictures I took during my yourney...








No comments:

Post a Comment