Thursday, May 10, 2012

Realm of the Orchids

It's May... Springtime... The sky is clear and the nightingales are singing. But today I'd like to talk about something else which makes these Emilian mountains so unbelievably special: the wild orchids! 

I'd already heard that these incredible flowers bloom in this area. However, I wasn't prepared for the fact that in this particular case reality surpassed my wildest imagination by a mile. Those of you who know me can testify that my imagination can be quite vivid at times, to say the least. And therefore my statement is rather bold. But certainly not exaggerated.

This week we had a lovely English couple spending a part of their holiday at our B&B. They were both hiking and plant lovers and so I took Lisa for a walk along a path I hadn't taken before but which seemed quite interesting on the map. It was a sort of "test run" before I could advise it to our guests. What I saw along that path was absolutely stunning! Mind you, this is a trail right next to our house! 

I won't say anymore... the pictures speak for themselves. In total Christine and I counted already a full dozen of wild orchid species on this particular walk alone, so most probably there must still be a lot more of them. You can also imagine how our guests must have felt... :-) 

Enjoy... and if you'd like to see these with your own eyes, you still have until about half-June to plan a visit with a free guided tour included! :-)












No comments:

Post a Comment