Monday, May 9, 2011

The Star Camp

What another busy week this has been! But unlike before, this time I've brought it onto myself. Last year I had the intention to organise a sort of "Star Camp" for all of my Italian astronomy friends because I wanted to thank them for their support and invite them to our place for a sumptuous BBQ plus observing night under the dark skies of our field. Unfortunately, there were the Big Bad Wolf and Nasty Little Man because of whom we went months past the deadline for finishing our house and so the whole plan collapsed.

Not to worry, however! This year I wanted to do it all over again and so I re-launched the invitation on the Italian astronomy internet forum. It didn't take long before the reservations rolled in and even though the event remained at a small scale (on Friday evening we were with 7 people and Saturday 13), we all had a wonderful time. The BBQ worked out really well and we were fortunate to have two nights of clear skies in a row, even though at the beginning the air was poorly transparent due to humidity. But after midnight it all cleared up and observing became a real joy. There were lots of telescopes and binoculars and we all went round to take a peek in eachother's treasures. 

I was totally knackered on Sunday, but very satisfied indeed. Most importantly because the guys and girls from the astronomy forum all turned out to be even more kind than how they appeared on the forum. And this is what makes me so proud to be a member of it. I believe that I have established a lot of true friendships for life with these people. They all brought us some local delicacies from their respective regions (3 had even driven all the way up from Rome!) which made the BBQ an all-Italian event. Even though I insisted on giving it a "Flemishg" touch of course by putting a pot filled with delicious double-malt Trappist ale in the middle of the BBQ in order to "steam" the meat with its perfume. Really... I love this country and its people. Well, most of its people anyway. :-)

And one last thing I insist on writing. The whole event wouldn't have been possible without Christine. The whole weekend she worked day and night, mostly invisible in the background, in order to spoil everyone with food, make up he beds, clean the house and do the dishes. I'm eternally grateful for everything she's done. Today she's having one of her terrible blows again. Exhausted to the point of collapse. But she doesn't mind because she believes it was all worth it. What a woman...

Here are a few pictures to illustrated the wonderful atmosphere of the Star Camp (3 of which courtesy to Monica):










No comments:

Post a Comment