Saturday, August 14, 2010

Life is like... - 14 Aug 2010

My apologies that I haven't posted any new messages for a while. This has three causes:

1. A lot of progress has been made to our house. The terracotta pavement has been laid and the tiles in the bathroom are almost finished. And after more than six months, we finally have windows that can actually open and close. I had to chop off most of the plasterwork on top of four of these windows in order to achieve this, but at least we can open them now. So why keep going on about such a minor detail like a bit of plastering?

2. My mother in law's visit. She's had a relaxing holiday of almost a week over here. Err... well... relaxing... :-) And she'll be going home again later this afternoon.

3. What is life like? I could quote Doulas Adams here and argue that life is like a grapefruit. But I don't entirely agree with that. I'd rather say that life is like a watermelon because mine's got a lot more pips in it than the average grapefruit. And I've got the impression that after breakfast there definitely doesn't remain half a one anymore. I'd rather say that all that's left is the peel. On the other hand, it feels a lot more squidgy too. For example, when we drove back from Parma yesterday and Christine had spotted a nice plant by the side of the road from which she absolutely wanted to take a shoot to put in our garden. She said:

- "If I were to turn 'round and drive back to take a shoot from that plant, would you kill me?"

Isn't that a squidgy moment? And when she looks at you with those eyes burning with desire. The desire for a plant, that is. Isn't that simply an offer you can't refuse? Well, at least I couldn't.
If I were to say that life is like a jellyfish? It's very squidgy and it's got poisonous needles in stead of pips. Yes... that's much more like it.

Nah... Just kidding! ;-)

What is life really like, then? I'd say... life is like... a baby's bottom. It's so soft that it makes your fingers tingle. It's so smooth that even if you'd polish pure marble for decades it wouldn't nearly be as perfect. And at times, it can be quite smelly too! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment