Monday, September 13, 2010

The Pradarena adventure - 13 Sep 2010

One thing I try to escape from the ghosts in my head, is taking my Vespa for a spin. For me there's no better way to get rid of all the worries (for a few minutes) than to ride along the winding mountain roads and enjoy the magnificent landscapes that await you behind every bend.

The day before yesterday I was feeling so down that I definitely needed a slightly bigger adventure to get my mind off things. It was around four 'o clock in the afternoon and the weather was just perfect. So I decided to make one of my dreams come true, which is riding my Vespa all the way up the Pradarena pass (1575m). It's only about 20km away from our house, so there I went.

Initially the road takes you along the valleys towards the town of Ligonchio. No problem there whatsoever. But then the climb gets steeper. Much steeper. Over 10% steep. Not the sort of thing my Vespa was keen on. After all, it was designed as a city vehicle; certainly not well-adapted for mountain-goat adventures. At times its maximum speed dropped below 20kph and I almost felt like getting off and give it a push. Very embarassing, you know, when motorbikes are zooming past; the riders of which obviously thinking that I must be bonking mad. But I let them mock me. My brave companion eventually made it to the top!!! Here's the living proof: the sign which told me that I was leaving the province of Reggio Emilia and entering the province of Lucca, in Tuscany:

Obviously I wanted to enjoy this moment a bit. It's a pity that at the top of the pass the view isn't all that superb. It's closed in by mountainsides and forests. And I hadn't had enough at all. I wanted more... and higher. Much higher. So I continued on foot, through the forest leading to the nearest mountaintop.

Hey! Look at these big mushrooms! But you better no eat those...


The forest got thinner and thinner. Eventually I arrived at the tree limit and to my great joy I could see the mountaintop. Well, at least I thought I could see it...


Much to my disappointment, the mountaintop was a lot higher still. Oh... my poor old legs... :-) But I would not give in! I would make it to the top, even if I'd collapse. Then I saw this weird pile of stones. Would that perhaps be the top?

No! Not in the least! I had to climb about another 50m still. But then... tadaaaa... the big moment...

WOOOOOOWWW!!! Just look at that!!! The following picture was taken in northeasterly direction. You can see the Bismantova rock in the far distance, with to its left the town of Castelnovo ne' Monti. And all the way against the horizon (not very clear on the picture) I could make out the outskirts of the city of Reggio Emilia, which must be about 60km away!

To the east, the majestic mount Cusna, the highest mountain in the Reggian Appenines...

And then... hold your breath for this panorama which ranges from south to northwest.


On the left (south) you can see the sharp outlines of the Alpi Apuane in Tuscany. Then the panorama goes through the southwest (sun), past the Alpe di Succiso (also over 2000m), then nearby Mount Cavalbianco (+/-1850m) and to the northwest Mount Ventasso (on the last picture). I absolutely haven't got the faintest idea how the mountain that I was standing on is called (couldn't find it on any map) but it must not be much lower than Mount Cavalbianco as you can see for yourself. Unfortunately the mountain I stood on just wasn't high enough to be able to see the Tyrrhanean Sea. But it was a spectacular view nonetheless.

After half an hour or so I climbed down again. Here's a picture of me and my loyal ride on the top of the pass, with Mount Cavalbianco on the background...

One last glance at Tuscany before I'd drive back...

Look, mama, that's how high I've been!!!...

Almost home. The Bismantova Rock in the evening light. Just a few more bends and I'd be home...

Sundown over the Alpe di Succiso...


The end. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment