Friday, July 29, 2011

To all of the "normal" people

Thomas, the autistic boy I have already talked about and one of my very best friends, has been beaten up severely by a couple of "youngsters" while he was visiting his favourite amusement park. Why, you might ask? Because he was once again roaming in his fantasy world and started talking to a couple of balloons. The result: a concussion, a ruptured eardrum, a black eye, a bruised back, a bloody nose and bitemarks on his fingers. He's terrified now, afraid to go out and swore that he'd never go to that amusement park ever again, even though it's his favourite place on earth.

It is beyond words, regardless if it is autistic or not, that a child can get beaten up so severely in a so crowded place. What did all the bystanders do? Just watch the scene? Where was the park security? The saddest thing about this case is however that Thomas has now lost his only "safe" spot in the world. Remember what I told you about my clay mountain? This is ten times worse because he's not just "lost" it like me, he got assaulted in it and I can only imagine how he must feel right now. According to his mum, he hardly says a word anymore and it seems that many years of effort to try to integrate him somewhat into the "normal" society have been flushed down the toilet in one single blow.

THIS is why I'll struggle for the rest of my life in order to make people understand about autism. THIS is why I'll never again tolerate that any autistic person is bullied, threatened or hurt, just because he or she is "different" from the so-called "normal" people. What is "normal" anyway? The way I see it, is that WE are the "normal" ones around here because we would NEVER do such a thing to someone else. "Just for fun"... "Hilarious"... "I can't stop laughing"... THIS HAS TO STOP RIGHT NOW!!!

Thomas' mum is currently planning a week's holiday at our place (hush hush... secret!) and we sincerely hope that this will bring him back among the living, so to speak. After been sent to hell by the minister of education about his school problem (when the cameras were gone of course), this must be another major disappointment for poor little Thomas. I wish that I could help him overcome all of this and mind you, my determintation for my struggle to defend autistic people has grown tenfold. We have already stood halfway across the bridge for a long time now, stretching out our hands to you. It's about time that the "normal" people will make an effort too and cross their end of the bridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment