Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Flora - The courtcase

I'm living in Italy for about three weeks now, and I'm already summoned in a courtcase. You'll remember that last February I bought a Main Coone kitten through the internet for Christine because she was in so much pain because of the loss of our favourite kitten in an accident with a car. And that the kitten she received turned out to be seriously mistreated and totally different from the one I had selected on the website. Eventually VISA said that it was indeed a rip-off and refunded my money immediately.

But only days after I had received a refund, the sellers suddenly came back to the surface (they had so far never cared to answer my mails or phonecalls). They had sent me a message to let me know that they would contest the rip-off and that they would contact their sollicitor. And indeed, last week I received a letter from an Italian court, instigated by their sollicitor. It claims that "for an inexplicable reason" I had asked my bank for a refund. You get the idea?

Ss it looks like I'll have to go to court to explain myself. We'll see where it goes because since I didn't send a registered letter (I was convinced that it was an internet fraud and that the sellers would already be long gone) my position is not as strong as it would appear at first sight. As usual, my emotional self took control over my actions. I was so furious about what the seller's done, not only to the poor little kitten but also to Christine's emotional state, that I neglected all normal "protocol" and went straight for the kill. Well, we'll see. At least I have VISA on my side (the seller never cared to reply to the inquirey from VISA either!) and I have a very angry letter from our Italian vet, explaining into great detail the precarious condition of little Flora when we received her.

All in all, Christine and I are not really scared or anything. It's just that it's an additional worry in a period where we can really do without. We're desperate for a bit of good news or a small stroke of luck.
Here's a picture of Flora, right after we received her. Barely weighing 2kg, 40% (!) below the normal weight for her age.

No comments:

Post a Comment