Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Counting the days

It won't be long anymore. Next Friday morning the movers will come to load all of our furniture and other belongings in the truck. And the next morning I'll be flying to my new, and hopefully final, destination. I'm under a lot of stress these days. Most of all because of the reasons I already stated. But more and more a strange anxiety is coming over me. It's only now that I'm beginning to realise what sort of adventure we've got ourselves into. Not that I'd be sorry to leave this house behind as such. Yes, it's a beautiful house (see picture) and we worked so hard for it. On the other hand, I've never really felt at home in this neighbourhood. Being Flemish and living just across the border in Wallonia is one thing. But apart from that there's a strange feeling about this place that I can't describe. One that never let me in peace and prevented me from finding the rest I so desperately need. The feeling I have in Italy is so totally different, even though also over there we're already into a lot of difficulties. It's as if nothing can really touch me over there.



Then there is the stress of all the things I still need to take care of. There's still a lot of packing to do. Moreover because Christine asked me to dig some of her favourite plants out of the garden so we can take them with us to Italy. I've already put dozens of little pots with shoots and plants in big plastic boxes, so they can keep their feet wet. Eventually it's amazing how much stuff one actually collects over the years. Even though we still have relatively few pieces of furniture compared to most other families. And I also have to go to the commune administration to have myself unregistered as a resident. So there's still plenty of things to do before Friday.



Fortunately, our friend managed to arrange me a very cheap ticket on Brussels Airlines next Saturday, so I can accompany our cats. It's already one worry less...


No comments:

Post a Comment