Sunday, May 23, 2010

A new but difficult beginning...

Even though these days aren't the happiest of my life, to say the least, I have to keep looking at the future. Which is a nightmare to me because uncertainty can drive me crazy. I'm exactly one week ahead of my definite move to Italy. For those of you who haven't read my book or my old blog, my wife, Christine, and I decided to completely change our lives. Less luxury perhaps, but more "life" as such. Therefore we've bought a small house in the Italian countryside where we hope to find some peace. After a professional career of almost 20 years, my autism finally took the better of me and I collapsed. Christine in the mean time suffers from a severe case of the chronic fatigue syndrome. I hate to admit it, but I'll probably be a large part of the cause of that. You can imagine I'm not always the easiest person to live with. But anyway, we're having big plans to turn our dire situation into something positive. Hence the Italian adventure. Unfortunately, this adventure turned out to be more of a rollercoaster as you can read in my old blog. The restoration eventually cost twice as much as originally budgeted by our geometre. In spite of big promises we only received half of the mortgage we requested, even if our future house is worth at least three times of what we asked for. And finally, disaster struck on the stock market where I was trying to make up for our losses.

So here we are now. Our future house is still far from being "habitable" and we don't have the money right now to continue the works. Christine has been living in Italy since September in order to coordinate them. I had to stay behind in Belgium because I had to take care of our animals (3 cats, 5 chickens and 2 guinnea-pigs) and manage the administrative bit. So we haven't seen much of eachother over the last 8 months. Therefore being together again will already be a great comfort. Christine has just found a small warehouse where we can temporarily store our furniture and we have high hopes that we can rent a temporary house for a reasonable price. And then we'll take it from there. One step at the time.

And then... I can hopefully find the peace I've been looking for for so long...














No comments:

Post a Comment