Sunday, May 30, 2010

A fresh start

Just a rush rush post to keep you informed...

The last couple of days have been some of the most dramatic in my life. On Friday the movers came to our old house to load the truck. It was a very awkward feeling to see how our house was being emptied. Even more so because with all of our furniture gone, every sound made a huge echoe in our living room. It added to the uncanny atmosphere.

Our cats also felt that there was something big about to happen because I didn't see them all day. I was able to catch Thomas and Canelle reasonably quickly, but Blu was a lot harder to find. Eventually, to my great relief, I heard her hiding under a big hedge and I managed to cath her. In the end, Thomas and Blu had treated me on a whole bunch of scars all over my body and a torn t-shirt. But they were inside and that was the most important bit.

That evening I felt so lonely as I've never felt before. The only piece of "furniture" in the entire house was a camping bed which the new owners were kind enough to lend me for the night. Not that I caught a lot of sleep on it, mostly due to our cats who kept me awake with their frightened meows.

Early on Saturnday morning, a friend of Christine's came to drive me and my cats to the airport. She's a supervisor at Brussels airport and she had arranged everything for us so that I could have a relaxing flight and that our cats would come out in one piece as well.

At Bologna airport, I finally saw Christine again. It was a bit awkward at first since we hadn't seen eachother for such a long time. But once I saw the cosy little house she had arranged for us, all worries disappeared in a flash.

You know, when our Belgian house was being emptied, the harsh reality of our decision finally got through to me. For the first time I started to doubt whether our decision to sell everything in order to start a new life was indeed a good one. But now that I've visited our future home again, and I saw the overwhelming environment in which it is situated, I started to cry tears of joy. Nothing can ever compare to this. We'll be perfectly happy here, even though we'll still have to fight a lot in order to overcome all the problems that still lie ahead. It will all be worth it.

This evening, I enjoyed a good glass of local wine on the terrace in front of our temporary home. And I smiled...

1 comment: